My brother, Gary is leading a Tennis Tournament event to raise money for breast cancer research at his sports club in Iowa in October. One of the key cancer survivors/victims that he's highlighting is our mom. He asked her to write a story about her life as a cancer patient. I want to share this with others as it's a great inspirational story AND for those of you who know me...you'll see where I get my inspiration, drive, and determination from...my mom! She's so awesome. I love her story below and I hope that it'll inspire you too. Anyone interested in donating to the tennis tournament let me know and I'll get you connected to the right person
See my mom's picture a few postings ago (Mom, Mick, and Me)
My mom's story:
SURVIVAL
In 1984 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have been a cancer victim for all the years that followed. However, my story is not as a victim but as a survivor. Thanks to cancer research and the results of new treatments I have been able to fight, survive and lead a very productive life.
The treatment of choice with my first diagnosis was a lumpectomy and radiation. I agreed with this because that meant that I would not lose a breast, wouldn't get sick or lose my hair. This
treatment worked for a few years.
In 1988 the cancer returned and the treatment this time would be a mastectomy and chemotherapy. The treatment was a chemo cocktail that was injected every week and would kill the cancer cells, but would also cause weight gain, hair loss and illness. This didn't sound like very much fun to me, but I started the treatment and guess what, I didn't loose my hair and I didn't get very sick. In fact, I took the treatments every Friday morning and then went to the office. I did this for six months. The treatment put the cancer in remission for a few years.
It is now 1992 and the cancer has returned. This time it is in the lining of my lungs as well as in the breast. The cancer in now considered metastatic breast cancer. This means the cancer has traveled to different parts of your body. My doctor, at that time, told me I had six months to live.
That was not in my plans. I was in the middle building a great career and starting to have grandchildren.
It was not the end however, there was a new doctor and a new drug. It was a great drug
that I took everyday in pill form with little side affects. This drug worked for about 3 years and kept the cancer in remission. When this drug stopped working the next treatment was back to
chemo. This time it did make me lose my hair and at times made me very ill, but only for a few
days each treatment. This treatment didn't do very well and I was told that I had maybe a year at the most. I was put on a trial program with a new drug that worked great for me for about 2 years.
Since 1998 I have been told three times there is nothing more we can do. Cancer had been found in my liver and bones. But research into new drugs and new doctors changed that diagnosis. I have taken many different drugs in the past ten years. Many of these drugs were not available when I first started this journey. I have lost my hair, lost weight, but I haven't lost my life. I am a poster person for what cancer research can do. I am living proof that results from research can save lives.
I have had the opportunity to consult with the Huntsman Cancer Center in Salt Lake City and
a very renowned cancer research specials from Harvard Medical School, Dr. Isselbacher. The drugs that I am currently on are new and have been approved for only a short time. Some of the new drugs they have discovered not only save lives, but make the treatment much easier to tolerate and much less toxic. I have been told many times, "if we can keep you alive there will be something new". There always has been a new drug approved.
Please don't think that during this journey I was the victim. These treatments added years to my life that was very productive. During my journey with cancer, I was building a corporate career with Sears, traveling extensively, in charge of millions of dollars in inventory and some 900 employees. I was breaking the glass ceiling one step and one pill at a time.
It has been an interesting and sometimes humorous journey. I have set in board meeting with hot flashes so bad it showed on my face. I have started to drive to the office in a business suit, heels, the works, and realized half way there I had forgot my hair.
When the treatments got to hard and to often I decided it was time to retire. That didn't work very well, so I decided to start a new career and became Director of United Way in Idaho. I will always be glad of this opportunity. I learned things about people that will stay with me the rest of my life. This job did make me a kinder, softer person.
For the past few years I have been completely retired, but I am still active in many organizations in the community. I work with children’s issues, the governors counsel on kids and families and
on the local college foundation board.
I do believe a positive attitude is very important. I have been known to give a lecture on the power of positive thinking and then drive myself to the hospital for a blood transfusion. My doctors have told be many times that attitude has made a difference. I have done some counseling with other cancer victims about the power of positive thinking.
This journey has shown me how important family and friends are to one’s health. I am fortunate to have a son like Gary that sent me a book called "I'm Having a No Hair Day" after losing my hair and calls often just to check in. I also like that he will not let me give up. I like having a daughter that will drive 250 miles during a really rough time while my husband was away on business. I like that I have a husband that is the best care giver a person could ask for.
I like the fact that I have had many productive and rewarding years, thanks to research.
Cancer research has extended my life. Now they call my condition a chronic illness. I am thankful every day for benefits of research and the people that do the research. But more important, the people that give of their time and money to make research possible.
THANK YOU
Diane Boyd

No comments:
Post a Comment